Trillion Cut Diamond: The Triangular facet attraction corners
Diamonds have always held a special place in everyone’s hearts since these gemstones are known to add brilliance and sparkle to everyone’s life and wardrobe. With a variety of designs and quality available in diamonds, customers can often get confused with which one to fit within their jewelry.
One of the most well-known and stunning varieties of these gems that customers should definitely consider is the trillion cut diamond. Not only does this cut exhibit brilliance and shimmer but it also does an excellent job of standing out from the normal crowd of diamonds. The unique selling point of these diamonds is their huge face-up size and affordable prices which tend to attract many customers. The only challenge here is the difficulty with which a trillion cut diamond with acceptable quality is accessible to diamond shoppers. Hence, to help the customers discover the best trillion cut gem for their jewelry, here are some guidelines for the process. The first step of the process is to understand the general method of evaluating diamonds which every customer must be aware of.
General Guide to Evaluate Diamonds
The universal method used for defining a diamond’s quality lies within the GIA 4Cs – color, clarity, cut, and carat weight. The most important C concerning diamond studs is ‘cut’ as this aspect has the most visible impact on the appearance and brilliance of the jewelry.
Described simply as the weight of the diamond, it is an aspect related to the size and physical appearance of a precious stone. A carat that best fits the frame of the customer’s face and also falls within the budget must be kept in mind while making the purchase. Although a bigger size is sometimes preferred, people should consider the diamond’s cut above the carat weight as most times larger diamonds lack the luster and sparkle because it has been poorly cut.
0.50-carat stones are a preference for many.
A diamond’s cut is the description of how it has been shaped. This is the most critical aspect for diamond studs as the sparkle and brilliance of the stud mostly depend on how well and in what shape it has been cut. With different styles like round brilliant and princess cuts, the basic difference between them is how light is reflected.
The GIA grades for diamonds’ cuts are Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, and Poor. When choosing diamond studs, customers must choose one with a rating that falls between Very Good and Excellent as these labels ensure that the purchase made is of the best cut quality that will result in a radiant and sparkling item of jewelry.
This is an important feature to consider when purchasing the clarity of a diamond explains the number of imperfections present inside and outside the diamond, which can be defined as inclusions and blemishes respectively.
These imperfections give a cloudy and dull appearance to the diamond, leading to the jewelry looking less beautiful.
Grades that are used to define the clarity of diamonds include the following: Flawless (FL), Internally Flawless (IF), Very, Very Slightly Included (VVs2), VS1 or VS2 (Very Slightly Included), SI1 or SI2 (Slightly Included), I1 or I2 or I3 (Included).
Higher grades denote that the stone in consideration has lesser inclusions and blemishes and the lower grades describe the opposite.
A grade of VS2-SI1 is generally awarded to eye-clean diamonds and can be purchased by the customers at reasonable prices as these diamonds will look clean and have an adequate amount of sparkle in the eyes of onlookers. This will also allow the client to invest their budget on the rest of the Cs. However, clients that depend on the technicality of the flawlessness of their diamonds can opt for higher graded ones which will invariably cost more.
The Colour of the diamond must not be confused with colored diamonds as the difference between them is that colored diamonds include an array of naturally occurring shades of diamonds such as blue, yellow, pink, etc. whereas the color is a method to grade the whiteness of a white diamond. These grades fall between the range of D to Z with D indicating the most “colorless” white diamond and Z the label for the most “yellow” white diamond. This factor depends differently from person to person as some might prefer the yellowish tint while others are completely against it.
The different grades of colors are caused due to the reflection of every bit of light including the wearer’s skin tone and metal of the setting, that falls on the surfaces and angles of the diamond.
For a cost-effective purchase, customers must choose a diamond in the range of G-I as it will appear white and cost a lot less than the diamonds which are graded in the range of D-F.
What are Trillion Cut Diamonds?
Once, customers are aware of the 4 Cs of every diamond, they can begin to understand everything there is to comprehend about the trillion cut diamonds, with the information ranging from its structure to the prices.
Commonly used as diamond accents, the trillion cut diamonds are shaped triangularly and generally have three sides that are equal in length along with a surface that resembles a flat table.
Although the trillion cut diamonds are generally used as a side stone in designs that feature other types of diamonds in the spotlight, many customers have begun preferring the diamond as the centra gem in their rings since the diamond’s appeal has grown exponentially since its relatively recent inception in the 1960s. The fame surrounding the diamond can be credited to its appearance exhibiting an exciting and provocative shape and hence, proves to be an extremely eye-catching and stunning choice in various forms of jewelry ranging from rings to pendants.
Choosing a Beautiful Trillion Cut Diamond
Customers who are out in the market searching for the perfect trillion cut diamond to feature on an engagement ring, instead of focussing on the 4Cs of diamonds that customers would have for most of the other types of diamonds, should concentrate on making sure that the center diamond matches the side diamonds in the case wherein the trillion cut diamond is used as a side stone. A similarity in clarity and color grades between the two is the most essential thing to keep in mind.
The following tips must be kept in mind during the purchase of a trillion cut diamond:
- Checking for the diamond’s depth is the first step that customers should do since trillion cut diamonds are cut shallow to create the illusion of a bigger diamond which is done by distributing the diamond’s weight horizontally instead of vertically. However, if the diamond is too shallow then it will dampen the diamond’s brilliance and fire and hence a moderate dept should be kept in mind while purchasing a beautiful trillion cut diamond.
- Choosing an eye-clean diamond is the next step in the process. Overpaying for a flawless clarity grade is never advised to customers who want to get the best for the least and hence, diamond shoppers should always choose a grade that includes slight inclusions and impurities but appears as eye-clean as any flawless diamond.
- Choosing a diamond that appears colorless in comparison to its setting is the last step that customers must take care of. Just like in clarity, customers do not need to invest in color grades that too high on the grade such as D, E, or F, and can invest in a diamond with a lower color grade that appears just as beautiful and contrasts well with its setting.
- Also Read: Beware Of Difference Between Clarity- Enhanced Or Man Made Diamond
Pros and Cons of a Trillion Cut Diamond
There is a list of pros and cons that follows every diamond which is true even for the trillion cut diamond. Customers must be aware of these pros and cons to make an informed decision and rule out whether the drawbacks that are exhibited by the diamonds are less significant with regards to the personal preference and style of the customer.
- A trillion cut diamond will always appear larger than a round cut diamond of the same carat weight since the surface is 12% bigger in the former.
- Amongst all the diamond shapes except for a marquise cut, the trillion cut diamonds are home to the largest face-up area.
- These diamonds are also a lot less costly than their counterparts in round cuts since the latter has a higher demand which tends to increase the price of it by a lot.
- Because of the presence of sharp points and steep angles, the trillion cut diamond offers the jewelry it is set in with a highly modern and trendy look and hence is desirable by the youth who are looking for something to complement their generation.
- Trillion cut diamonds are generally used as diamond accents and hence, are rarely seen as center stones. They would definitely make eye-catching jewelry for customers who have eclectic taste.
- The most major cons that exist within the trillion cut diamonds are the physical weaknesses it carries due to the sharp corners.
- These corners make it easier for the diamond to be chipped and broken.
- The only way to protect the trillion cut diamonds is by placing them in an appropriate setting like the V-shaped prong or bezel and customers who are not attracted to these settings might have to settle for it as a compromise.
- The next most significant disadvantage surrounding the trillion cut diamond is their limited availability which could make it difficult for customers to find a good quality trillion cut diamond jewelry. There are also high chances of customers being fooled or falling prey to jewellrs who are not honest about the quality of the diamonds they sell in the case of trillion cut diamonds.
To save oneself from a faulty purchase, customers who wish to buy a trillion cut diamond jewelry must read this article carefully and keep themselves properly informed about the information surrounding the diamond and then make a knowledgeable decision regarding the quality and design. Since these diamonds have many advantages along with some disadvantages, the final decision whether to buy a trillion cut diamond or not is mostly a matter of personal preference and style. For customer who wishes to invest their bucks wisely into something unique, stunning, and gorgeous, there could not be a choice better than the trillion cut diamond.